Santa's Sleigh will be coming to see you again this Christmas
We are delighted that once again Santa will be making his annual visit to Malton, Norton and the surrounding villages. The sleigh will steadily make it way around the area, accompanied by members of the Malton, Norton and District Lions Club. To keep our community safe we won’t be knocking on doors again this year, but we’d love for you to come out and give us a socially distanced wave.
Where Can I See Santa?
We are using Google Maps this year to keep tabs on Santa! We will publish a link each evening on our Facebook page, so to make sure you don’t miss his visit, please give our Facebook a ‘Like’ and check back for updates. Our route will also be published on Facebook and at https://www.maltonnortonlions.co.uk/
How Can You Support the Lions?
There are lots of ways you can donate to our Santa’s Sleigh appeal this year
The Sleigh is the biggest fundraiser in our calendar, but once again, our collectors will not be knocking on doors to ask for donations to support our work. We know that Christmas is a time when families have many demands on their finances, and we really value the support of our local community. Because we are a volunteer organisation, you can be sure that any money you donate will be reaching those in need, and so we can respond quickly where needed. Our panel of trustees can make decisions and more importantly get assistance to somebody (actual or financial) within 24 hours of being asked for our help.
Our collectors will be collecting cash donations in fishing nets to maintain social distancing.
We will also take contactless payments on our route – please wear a mask when you approach our collectors.
You can text to donate fixed amounts - £1, £3, £5 and £10.
Text / SMS donations
To donate £1, text VPNA07 to 70201
To donate £3, text VPNA07 to 70331
To donate £5, text VPNA07 to 70970
To donate £10, text VPNA07 to 70191
There is no limit to the number of times you can text, but please get permission from the bill payer.
Alternatively, you can donate any amount you wish by clicking the DONATE button above.
What Do Lions Do?
We support local charities and good causes. Some examples are the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, Ryedale Special Families and Ryedale Free Fridge. We also respond to requests from professionals who work with local people who need assistance– this might be a young family that needs a cooker, or a student who wants to volunteer overseas. All requests are considered.
We are active throughout the year, helping at local events, and organising other events to raise money. Our members are from many different backgrounds and ages and have a range of different experiences.
Here are some examples of recent projects:
- £3,000 raised for Yorkshire Air Ambulance through a Virtual Summer Lunch
- Subsidised and delivered Fish and Chips to the over 65’s in Malton, Norton and surrounding villages.
- Helped numerous residents who needed items such as carpets, fridges, washing machines and other essentials.
- Took a carriage full of Ryedale Special Families members on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
- Arranged for a family who’d had a challenging year to go on a caravan holiday in Filey.
- Helping to strip the Halfpipe Ramp in the skatepark.
- Provided aid to local residents whose homes were flooded
- Gave grants to these community groups: Swinton District Excelsior Band, Malton Riding Club, Norton Hive, Ryedale YMCA, The Woodhams Stone Collection, The Camphill Village Trust, Kirkham Henry Performing Arts, Musical Memories, Westow Cricket Club, Settrington Village Hall and the Fire Station Pre-School.
Interested in Becoming a Lion?
If you’d like to know more about our work or want to get involved, then please send us a message on our Facebook page. You’ll be invited to a meeting and get to see how we support our community.