Aberdeen Art Gallery is where generations of people first discovered the wonder of great art. The Cowdray Hall is where generations of people first experienced the joy of great music.
Inspiring Art and Music is our once in a generation £30m project to restore, rejuvenate and reinvigorate the Art Gallery and Cowdray Hall buildings complex. From the restored Central Court, to the brand new rooftop gallery, Aberdeen Art Gallery will be the place for future generations to encounter, experience and enjoy the very best in Art and Music.
The ambitious redevelopment of Aberdeen Art Gallery, Cowdray Hall and Remembrance Hall is well underway. The £30m investment is transforming the Schoolhill complex into a world class cultural centre celebrating art and music for the people of Aberdeen, visitors to the City and the North East.
This dramatic transformation will see Aberdeen’s outstanding Collection displayed to greater effect, enhancing enjoyment and understanding of the City’s rich culture and history for all our visitors. The major investment will:
- Increase the number of galleries from 11 to 21, to better showcase the quality and breadth of Aberdeen's exceptional Collection
- Restore the Gallery building, while making it easier to navigate and enjoy
- Establish a new exhibition space to attract the very best visiting artwork from around the world
- Provide two new education spaces for learners of all ages
- Create a stunning new rooftop gallery, with roof terraces opening up beautiful views of the City
- Make improvements to the Cowdray Hall, while retaining its superb acoustic quality