Seaton Tramway originated at the Lancaster Electrical Company in Barnet, North London, which built battery electric vehicles such as milk floats. It's owner, Claude Lane, had a passion for trams and the factory helped realise his long held ambition of constructing a 15 inch gauge tram based on ex-Darwen car 23, then running on the Llandudno & Colwyn Bay system.
Completing the tram in 1949, he recouped some of the costs by running it at fetes and similar local events. Its popularity took Claude Lane completely by surprise, and led to a one-off summer season at St. Leonards, Sussex, in 1951 and then the first of five seasons at Rhyl from 1952. These ventures persuaded Lane to negotiate the lease on a permanent site at Eastbourne in 1953, and Modern Electric Tramways Ltd was born.
Our trams are narrow guage (2'9"), purpose built by the company with designs based on some of the heritage trams that served our towns and cities in the first half of the last century. Well into the 21st Century, Claude Lane's legacy endures and continues to capture and inspire the imagination of thousands of delighted visitors.