A Healthy Future is a £3.7m development that will transform the Thackray Medical Museum to make sure our visitors’ experience fulfils their needs and expectations.
We now need just £300,000 to reach the total required to make this transformation a reality. Every gift, however large or small, will make a difference.
The aims of A Healthy Future are to:
- Create innovative and engaging visitor experiences to excite, entertain and educate people with the history of medicine and its contemporary and future practice;
- Engage people through contemporary stories and issues, using our collection objects, and opportunities to talk to medical practitioners;
- Create two operating theatres - one Victorian and one contemporary - spaces for creating and sharing knowledge, as well as performing;
- Provide more opportunities for medical professionals to support hands-on learning activities, visitor participation and debate;
- Offer learning for everybody by providing a safe and trusted space to explore and understand the history and science of medicine;
- Transform our entrance hall to create a more welcoming, more accessible experience;
- Reveal more of the building’s original architecture to enable people to understand the building and its former uses;
- Make the museum sustainable for the future.