If you missed Santa’s visit to your home, here’s another opportunity to donate!
Every year, throughout December your local Lions Club help Santa to visit Malton, Norton and the surrounding villages. His sleigh steadily makes it way around the area, accompanied by members of the Malton, Norton and District Lions Club plus a number of volunteers who ensure that every child (and some enthusiastic adults) gets the chance to tell Santa what they’d like in their stocking! Our collectors knock on every door to ask for donations to support our work.
The Lions Club’s aim is to serve the local community, and so every year we brave the chilly December nights, and visit as many homes as we can. Our rounds start at about 4.30pm, and we are not allowed to collect after 9pm, and so if you missed our visit, we’d really love you to donate via the website or by text. We also know that many people no longer have change for the collection box so we hope you’ll be able to donate online or by text instead. We know that Christmas is a time when families have many demands on their finances, and we really value the support of our local community. Every penny donated goes directly to those in need, there are no administration charges because we are all volunteers. For the more urgent cases in our community, we have a panel of trustees who can make decisions and more importantly get assistance to somebody (actual or financial) within 24 hours of being asked for our help.
Here are some examples of recent projects:
- Donation made towards a fridge for Ryedale Free Fridge, a community venture that saves literally tonnes of food going to landfill and distributes it to local people.
- Over 60 children and their carers treated to a day out on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- Subsidised and delivered Fish and Chips to the over 65’s in Malton, Norton and surrounding villages.
- Donation towards a wheelchair.
- A caravan holiday providing respite for a young family, (victim of domestic violence).
- Help buy a fridge for a woman and her children who had escaped a violent partner and now needed help in their new home.
What Projects Are We Supporting in the Coming Year?
- Ryedale Special Families are aiming to raise £250,000 to find a new home and we are helping them to reach their goal. They are over half-way.
- Continue to support time-critical requests for help from families in the local community.
- Help a local group provide services for people with Parkinson’s Disease and Dementia.
- Carry on the Annual Community Fund Grants – where local groups can apply for grants of up to £500. We approve applications up to a total of £5000 each year, each application is reviewed by a selected panel.
- Continue our support of the local racing fraternity by assisting on their Open Day.
How Can I Donate?
You can text to donate fixed amounts - £1, £3, £5 and £10.
There is no limit to the number of times you can text, but please get permission from the bill payer.
What Do Lions Do?
We support local charities and good causes. Some examples are the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, Ryedale Special Families and Ryedale Free Fridge. We also respond to requests from professionals who work with local people who need assistance– this might be a young family that needs a cooker, or a student who wants to volunteer overseas. All requests are considered.
We are active throughout the year, helping at local events, and organising other events to raise money. Our members are from many different backgrounds and ages, and have a range of different experiences.
Where Can I See Santa?
Here’s a list of our planned route. Occasionally Santa has to rearrange his route, so please “Like” our Facebook page to see any updates.
Sat 30 Nov - Hovingham, Fryton, Slingsby, Barton and Appleton
Sun 1 Dec - NORTON LIGHTS SWITCH-ON, East Mount, Highfield Rd, Peasey Hill and Old Malton
Mon 2 Dec - Wentworth St, Broughton Rise, Horsemarket Rd, Middlecave and Castle Howard Rd
Tues 3 Dec - Broughton, Broughton Manor, Showfield Lane Est, Copperfield Close & Ryngwoode Drive
Wed 4 Dec - Bowling Lane, Redrow, Westfield to Scarborough Rd
Thurs 5 Dec - Bulmer, Welburn, Crambeck, Huttons Ambo & Milton Ridge
Fri 6 Dec - MALTON LIGHTS SWITCH-ON, Langton Rd, Welham Rd, Station Way
Sat 7 Dec - Scampston, Rillington, Thorpe Bassett Scagglethorpe, Settrington
Sun 8 Dec - Lilling, Flaxton, Thornton le Clay, Foston, Whitwell, Crambe, Westow & Eddlethorpe
Mon 9 Dec - Thixendale, Leavening, Burythorpe, Langton and Birdsall
Tues 10 Dec - Langton Rd to Langley Drive, Beverley Rd Estate
Wed 11 Dec - Kirby Misperton, Barugh, Brawby
Thur 12 Dec - Sheriff Hutton, Terrington, Coneysthorpe
Fri 13 Dec - Deansfield Ct, Furlongs Ave, Beverley Rd, Dean Rd, Howe Rd, to Parliament St
Sat 14 Dec - West Knapton, West Heslerton, Sherburn, Wintringham
Sun 15 Dec - Weaverthorpe, Wolds Villages to North Grimston
Mon 16 Dec - Swinton, Amotherby, Habton
Want to help?
Without volunteers, the Lions Club would not be able to help Santa to visit the local villages. If you can spare a few hours one evening please contact us via our Facebook page, and let us know what night you’d like to help. You need to be reasonably fit, and to wear warm clothes, and comfortable footwear. We supply high-visibility vests, a torch and a collection box. On some rounds we are treated to mince pies and a drop of something to warm us up!
Interested in Becoming a Lion?
If you’d like to know more about our work or want to get involved, then please send us a message on our Facebook page. You’ll be invited to a meeting, and get to see how we support our community.